Titled tell me how they kiss you, tell me how you kiss and taking place from 20 November 2018 to 12 January 2019, the exhibition will see local artists Megan Miao, Susie Wong and Zulkhairi
Zulkifleetransform the Arts Club into a den for exploration of the entangled relationships with both ourselves and others – through the tropes of pleasure and desire, the consumption of romance and the Malay masculinity.
The eight-week showcase will feature never-seen-before works that span the mediums of drawings on paper, ceramic sculptures and photography, as well as artist-led and live music events.
Here are what each artist is presenting:
- Megan Miao (b. 1992) presents her new series, Compactible (2018), which comprises objects and charcoal drawings of erotic biomorphic forms meant to articulate and incite feelings of desire.
- Susie Wong (b. 1956) explores the power codes imbued within the romance in the 1960s cult film, The World of Suzie Wong, through four nebulous drawings.
- Zulkhairi Zulkiflee (b. 1991) explores the masculinity of the working-class male Malay youth, and the neo-colonial gaze that essentialises it through three digital photographs
In response to the lyrical sensualism that underscores the show, the bar and culinary teams present the following Arts Clubs Specials:
- A Whole Lot of Head – a cheeky take on the classic Ramos Gin Fizz that is heady with cream and frothy to a fault.
- Glass Petals
– a see-through snack of peppery potato shards presented in a floral arrangement that’s tingly and subtle at once
Here are some of the special events surrounding the show:
|SAT 24 NOV:||Viewing with the Artists|
|SAT 8 DEC:||DIY Sex Toy Workshop with Megan Miao|
|TUE 8 JAN:||Artist Talk with Susie Wong|
|TUE 11 DEC:||TAAC: LIVE! with KAIZENXSOUNDLAB|